CURRICULUM VITAE (pdf)
Political scientist with a research interest in political conflicts and violence, methods and research design, working experience with democratic institutions, elections and party politics, and a regional focus on Serbia and the Balkans. Currently a research assistant at the Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory, University of Belgrade, and policy and research advisor at Crta in Belgrade. Doctoral dissertation “Cousins in arms: Social structure and civil war mobilization In Montenegro” received the 2020 Central European University Best Dissertation Award.
- 2020 Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science, Central European University, Doctoral School of Political Science, Budapest
- 2013 Graduate Specialized Academic International Studies, University of Belgrade, Faculty of Political Science
- 2012 Master of Arts in Nationalism Studies, Central European University, Nationalism Studies Program, Budapest
- 2008 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science – International Studies, University of Belgrade, Faculty of Political Science
Ilić, V. (2020). Stranačko odmetanje narodnih poslanika u Srbiji 1990-2020. U: Jovanović, M., Vučićević, D. (ur.) Kako, koga i zašto smo birali? Izbori u Srbiji 1990-2020. godine (959-989). Beograd: Institut za političke studije, Službeni glasnik.
Ilić, V., Branković, T., & Tepavac, T. (2019). Case Study: Serbia. In: Atanasovski, E. (ed.) Parliamentary Boycotts in the Western Balkans (108-127). Beograd: Westminster Foundation for Democracy.
Škop, M., Merenyi, M., Turashvili, T., Izdebski, K., Kerekeš, D., & Ilić, V. (2019). alGOVrithms. The State of Play. Report on algorithms usage in government-citizens relations in the Czech Republic, Georgia, Hungary, Poland, Serbia and Slovakia. Warsaw: ePaństwo Foundation.
Ilić, V. (2019). Srbija je zarobljena država, ali to nije njen najveći problem. U: Prodanović, S., Pudar Draško, G. & Velinov, M. (ur.) Otete institucije u Srbiji: Teorija i praksa (70-75). Beograd: Institut za filozofiju i društvenu teoriju.
Ilić, V. (2018). Turning the Tide: Political Influence and Independent Institutions in Serbia. In: Esch, V. & van Zijverden, O. (eds.) Rule of Law Reforms in the Western Balkans (103-109). Berlin: Aspen Institute.
Ilić, V. (2015). Etnički stereotipi u abanskim i srpskim udžbenicima istorije. U: Tepšić, G., Nakarada, R., & Vasović, M. (ur.) Etnički stereotipi i nacionalni mitovi kao prepreke pomirenju u srpsko-albanskim odnosima (177-212). Beograd: Fakultet političkih nauka.
Recent event participation
- 2021 Can elections bring (real) change? SEESOX Seminar Series, Oxford University (online)
- 2020 Conditions for fair and free elections in Serbia, international conference, Crta (online)
- 2020 Elections in Serbia 1990-2020. FPS, IPS, University of Belgrade (online)
- 2020 Planning election observation during the pandemic, EFOR, Bucharest (online)
- 2019 Addressing Electoral Recommendations from Gender Perspective, OSCE/ODIHR, Sarajevo
- 2019 Democratization from below, Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory, Belgrade
- 2019 Sequestered or alienated institutions, Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory, Belgrade
- 2019 Civil Society Perspective on Democracy in Serbia, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, Brussels
- 2019 Civil Society for Responsible Governance, CRTA, Belgrade
- 2018 Public Opinion & Media Disinformation in the Western Balkans, NDI, Washington
- 2018 Serbian Political Science Association Annual Convention, Belgrade
- 2018 Openness of executive government in Montenegro and the region, CDT, Podgorica
- 2018 Disinformation – Are We Losing the Game? Istinomer, Belgrade
- 2018 Aspen Germany Western Balkans Conference, Skopje, North Macedonia
- 2017 Annual Doctoral Conference, CEU, Budapest
- 2016 New International Relations of Eurasia and the Middle East, CEU, Budapest
- 2016 Harvard-MIT-Yale Political Violence Conference, Harvard, Cambridge
- 2016 Micro-Comparative Studies of 20th Century Conflict workshop, Yale University, New Haven
- 2016 International Studies Association Annual Convention, Atlanta
- 2016 Association for the Study of Nationalities Annual Convention, Columbia University, New York
- 2016 Comparative Politics Workshop, Graduate Center, City University of New York
- 2016 Program on Order, Conflict, and Violence Speaker Series, Yale University, New Haven
Recent research projects
- 2021 Enlightened trust: An examination of trust and distrust in governance – conditions, effects and remedies – researcher, IFDT; European Commission, Horizon 2020.
- 2020 Election observation and advocacy – coordinator, Crta; German Federal Foreign Office.
- 2020 Citizens’ attitudes about elections – coordinator, lead researcher, Crta.
- 2018-2019 alGOVrithms: Are citizens governed by computer programs? – researcher, ePaństwo Foundation; Visegrad Fund.
- 2018 Combating disinformation – coordinator, lead researcher, Crta; National Democratic Institute.
- 2018 Citizens in power – researcher, Crta; Netherlands Fund for Regional Partnership MATRA.